Thursday, June 10, 2004

Mexican Slayride

This is the first episode ever of the A-Team. It was a two hour series premiere that was aired after the Superbowl one year. The A-Team's success after the Superbowl launch was what convinced the networks that the Superbowl actually had a lot of power over the tv shows that aired around it. That's why Alias was aired after the Superbowl the last couple of years. ABC wanted to draw new viewers and up the ratings.

This episode introduced all the characters and after watching it last night, I am now convinced that Mr. T's acting ability is highly underrated. He was very convincing in his delivery. And he did more than what people generally remember him for - the "You crazy fool" and "I pity the fool" lines. I don't know how much debate there's been over which Face was better - Tim Dunigan or Dirk Benedict. It's hard to draw comparisons since Benedict had the role for so long. But I do think Dunigan played the role a little too sincere and goody-goody. Or maybe that's how the character was originally written and Face was changed over time to fit Benedict's natural talents. And I've seen some comments that suggest that George Peppard had taken a step down in his career when he accepted the role of Hannibal, but you know what? I think, after watching his performance in Mexican Slayride, that he loved the character of Hannibal and he enjoyed his work. There was a twinkle in his eye that you don't normally see in tv. He made it look like fun. I've had the good fortune of experiencing Peppard's acting prowess from watching Breakfast at Tiffany's, Damnation Alley, and then The A-Team and let me tell you, he only got better with each role. I've probably seen him in other movies as well, but those two were the biggest ones I remember. And what can I say about Dwight Schultz? The man's a genius and I love everything he does. Even when he played a killer in some made for tv movie with Jasmine Guy as a juror assigned to a murder trial. I didn't like for Schultz to play someone evil, but he's an actor and that's what he does. Melinda Cullea, also another really great actress, was a good choice for Amy Allen. She was convincing as a reporter. I remember her from an episode of ST: The Next Generation and it made me sad that she didn't stay with the A-Team for any longer than she did, no matter the reason she left (I understand there has been some discussion on that).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

No infringement on copyrights held by Stephen J. Cannell, Universal, RTL, CIC, or other television and production companies is intended.